Ride of Silence - May 21, 7pm at Railroad Depot
As in years past, please join the cyclists of Traverse City in a ride of silence. The Ride of Silence is an important event that seeks to have motorists and cyclists remember those who have been injured on a bicycle and bring awareness to everyone regarding bicycle safety. So be part of a historic event. We will congregate beginning around 6:30 pm, say a few words in honor of those we ride for, discuss a few ride guidelines and then ride in groups of no more than 15 through the streets of Traverse City. No more than an hour. View the event poster here.
President’s Spring 2014 Message
Spring is here! Even with snow still on the ground we can anticipate the roads to be clear enough to begin riding as soon as the temperature allows. In the meantime, tune up those bikes at one of our local bike shops, contact your friends and tell them about the many advantages of being a Cherry Capital Cycling Club member (discounts at local bike shops, camaraderie, exercise, beautiful scenery, etc.). I am looking forward to riding again enjoying the wind in my face and the freedom of the road ahead.
The Officers and Directors have met a few times since my appointment as President to discuss a number of important issues that Club members should be aware of.
- It was a unanimous decision to move our annual Spring Picnic to the first Sunday in June. This year the picnic will be held on Sunday, June 1, 2014. Irma Brownley will be handling all the details and most of us know she always plans a great event so please join us it’s a great way to meet up with old and new cycling friends to begin the new season.
- Smart Commute Week hosted by TART will be held June, 2 – 6, 2014 from 8:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m. TART declares, “This annual weeklong celebration is to gather and celebrate the community’s year-round veteran smart commuters and infrastructure improvements to provide more safe, connected, and accessible active transportation.” Members and friends lets join in this celebration as many of our members are year-round veteran smart commuters. Bravo to all of you who ride year round!! There are community breakfasts hosted at various businesses. Check local resources for details.
- Discussions have begun on developing a Ride Leader Handbook. Volunteers will be sought to be on the committee. If you have any interest please contact our Ride Director, Ken Rosiek.
- Discussions have also begun regarding a need for changes to our Ride Rules. If you have any input please contact a board member.
- The Club Brochure along with bumper stickers and business cards are close to print stage.
- The Club is part of the Adopt a Road program. Parker Field has eight sections on the Peninsula of which he has confirmed 7 teams of 2; we are in need of one more team. Volunteers are needed to assist in the clean-up during the season. If you are interested please contact Parker Field at 231-922-9808.
I am looking forward to seeing you all on Club rides and various activities. Should you have any questions, suggestions, complaints, or input please feel free to contact any Board Member.
Darcie C. Pickren, President
Recycle A Bicycle Receives Grant from the Grand Traverse Band
Of 96 applicants that applied for grants from the Grand Traverse Band Of Ottawa and Chippewa Indians 2% allocation, Recycle-A-Bicycle was one of 51 recipients to receive funding. Part of $ 5,080 received will be used for adding another work station with a bike stand, work benches and tools at the Woodmere workshop for our volunteers. The rest will be used for repairs of bicycles for our struggling neighbors who can't afford nor have the ablilty to maintain their bikes to be safe and ridable. As soon as the temperature starts hanging out in the mid-forties plus we can get back to what we like to do.
Since 1994, the Grand Traverse Band has allocated $31,596,676.91 to hundreds of locale agencies in the Grand Traverse Region. TART Trails thanks you to for your support of our essential program.
The Recycle A Bicycle 2013 annual report can be read here
WHY JOIN CCCC?
• are enthusiastic about cycling as part of a healthy life style
• enjoy the company of fellow riders
• want to promote bicycle safety
• support local, state and national cycling organizations
• take pleasure in volunteering for Club activities
Dues are $20 for individuals and $30 for families. New members, please click here to join the fun. Current members click here for renewal information.
UPCOMING EVENTS IN NW MICHIGAN
Tweed Ride TC
GRNA Earth Day Celebration
April 26 Info >
Arcadian Grit & Gravel Race
Ride of Silence
Conquer the Village
May 24 Info >
Harbor Springs Classic
Michigan Mountain Mayhem
Beaver Island Bike Festival
Ride Around Torch
X100 Mtn Bike Race
Harbor Springs Classic
September 13 Info >
Leelanau Harvest Tour
September 21 Info >
Rock Road 50/50 Road Race
September 21 Info >
Peak2Peak Mtn Bike Race
Iceman Cometh Race